quinta-feira, 6 de novembro de 2008

Teaching and learning

In 76 all uni students in Luanda had to teach in secondary schools due to the lack of qualified teachers. I was assigned to 2 schools. Obviously, I was really bad – I was not properly qualified or trained and there was no curriculum. However, one problem I did not have to face was lack of discipline from the kids. I was 18, hardly older than some of my pupils, but they were lovely and they all respected me. At the time, I drove a used BMW my dad had bought me and they absolutely loved my car. They would follow me out of the school and say: “Miss, you drive so well! Can you give me a lift, miss? Just a ride to the beach, miss!” The father of one of my pupils owned a shop and everyday he would bring me a lollypop, a rare delicacy in those days. It became a joke among my sister’s friends. Whenever someone asked if they knew Sacha’s sister the answer was “She is the one in the BMW with a lollipop?” I quickly learned never to tell them to write about a free theme. I spent many evenings laughing aloud like crazy while I read their compositions! Out of everything my pupils wrote, my favourite sentence was: “Comrade President Neto is considered immortal because even though he is dead he appears on telly every night!”
And please don’t ask me how I had time to work, study, teach and still lead a very busy social life....I think the days then had a lot more hours than nowadays! At least 36!

1 comentário:

tony disse...

"the one in the BMW with a lollipop". Loved this one, lol!